Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Iquitos Vents

I decided to buy a group of 7 Iquitos Vents that will be shipped to me in a few weeks.

What do you consider the best tank for this group, and what would be the best plants to add?

Would YOU keep all seven of these as a group or would you split them up?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

--Vince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Administrator

Its up to you, they would all be fine in a larger tank say a 20H or a 29gal.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:50 AM

For maximum froglet output, you're best housing them in pairs, I believe. But who can beat a nice large cage with a happy group of frogs?

Old 02-12-2007, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Most vents are good in groups, and with enough room it would make for some fun interaction.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:13 AM

They'd look cool in one of those 47g tall tanks they sell at Petsmart. Ive always wanted to set one up as a viv.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 AM

If I had seven of them that weren't all related, I'd keep them together. If they were, I'd split them up, and trade blood lines till I could get a group that had 2+ bloodlines. That is if your intent is to breed them. If you're just keeping them to keep them, then yea, I'd keep them in a group in a big ol display tank.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I'll have to check out that 47g tall from Petsmart.

Any suggestions on plants?

I'll probably go a simple route that includes Broms attached to some cork bark that is just leaning on a cocoa fibre backround. I'm thinking this would make it easier to pull out the Broms if needed.

I'll use a gravel substrate with a drain plug and automatic misting system that includes a thermostat (possibly a Ranco) attached to a heating cable (embedded in the gravel) and a cooling fan.

On top of the gravel I'm thinking of using moss and leaf litter, but I would also like to add some more plants that will be permanetly attached to the the background.

Is my logic flawed here in any way?
Old 02-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Why heat? Does it get exceptionally cold in your area?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm the New England area and it definitely gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. We have central air and it gets turned way down in the daytime when there isn't anyone home.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:41 AM

Default ha

Heres my professional answer- & vents would make a sick display! Especially if they are a little bit more bold than most vents I've seen!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
TWI/ASN

Speaking from experience, (and a sore back!) I would stay away from the gravel substrate, as it is very heavy, and will be hard to move the tank if you need to. why not go with a false bottom or leca, with a little bit of gravel around the edges to hide the leca / false bottom. It will be a lot lighter especially if your gonna go with that 47gal tall! :shock:
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 PM

a great tank for a group that size is a 33 cube from Oceanic.

I personally would use something light as a drainage layer (LECA or similar) with a 2 inch layer of coco/tree firn on top and 2-3 layers of leaf litter. no gravel. just too heavy with a tank >20 gal.

Larger broms could go in that sized tank and the vents will do well in them, but realize once they breed you will be leaving most eggs/tads in there b/c retreiving them from broms isnt easy.

Doubt you need a heater unless your room gets below 60F. Mine do fine in NH with temps 60F to 72F in winter, with warming accomplished by daytime lighting.

Also, with tank #'s less than 10 or so...(I hand mist 40), I personally would just stick to good old fashion hand misting. Quick, easy, no leaks, pumps ect ect.

Plan on taking 3-4 weeks to finish a tank and let it grow in....I do all mine with the Black Jungle 'recipe' but prefer the black handifoam over greatstuff when I can get it. This takes time to do right and I usually leave my new tanks to grow and 'detox' any fumes for 2-3 months, but that is just me.

best to you,

and WELCOME another New Englander to the list. :-)

Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticfrog
Thanks everyone for all your input.

I'll have to check out that 47g tall from Petsmart.

Any suggestions on plants?

I'll probably go a simple route that includes Broms attached to some cork bark that is just leaning on a cocoa fibre backround. I'm thinking this would make it easier to pull out the Broms if needed.

I'll use a gravel substrate with a drain plug and automatic misting system that includes a thermostat (possibly a Ranco) attached to a heating cable (embedded in the gravel) and a cooling fan.

On top of the gravel I'm thinking of using moss and leaf litter, but I would also like to add some more plants that will be permanetly attached to the the background.

Is my logic flawed here in any way?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the welcome Shawn.

I agree a cube tank, although more expensive, is the way to go. I've actually already ordered a 20"x20"x20" front opening cube that will be all drilled and ready to go.

It isn't unusual for my house to get down in the 50F range on occasion. We like to turn the heat down when no one is home and also at night, so that we're not spending needlessly on air or heat, and that isn't likely to change.

But, automation and control of the vivarium environment, although probably more expensive to achieve, in my opinion would be PRETTY DARN COOL!

--Vince
Old 02-16-2007, 05:49 PM

I have the tall 'column' tank from Petsmart. I've had it for awhile, just never done much with it. This weekend though, that's going to change, hopefully. I bought some really thin virgin cork bark panels from the LFS and will be using them for the background. the bottom will be peat bricks and Hydroton. I haven't decided if there will be a water feature, but if I think of something I have some Handi-Foam. Hopefully I'll be able to get the actual construction finished this weekend, and get to planting either late Sunday or on Monday. The hood will take a bit longer, but until it's finished I can put the light up on blocks.