Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Picking up Viv. selecting a frog and some other Q.

Hey everyone!

I'm new so don't be harsh
I didn't want to open 10 topics, so I will ask some beginners questions in this one. I hope that will not be a problem.

So let's start:

I'm buying a terrarium, but i don't no which is the most appropriate one. I was looking this: ( http://www.bolha.com/images/image/_44ffdd31b5594.jpg ) The measures are: 45cm 24cm 62cm.

Now let's get to the frog picking part. At first I wantet to buy D. Azuresu but then I was told that they have some problems breeding ( well not problems, more like difficulties...) is that tru? Then i was checking this board and pictures of dendro. frogs and i got to conclusion that one of the best choice is D. Auratus... Is it? Will that terrarium be any good?

I was talking with a man who could sell me frogs in about a month. I'll probably go check them out, and i hope that he will tell me some stuff about care sheets and how to ˝build˝ everything up.
On what things should I be carefull when I'll check the frogs?
And if he can't sell them or if he dosen't have species i want, do you recommend any patstore or breeder around Slovenia?

O and one more thing... How do you clean terrarium? I know how u clean glass but how about everything else?

Sorry on my bad english gramme.

Thanks,
Klemen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 04:52 PM

Hi Klemen!

FIRST, welcome to dendroboard.com! You picked a REAL neat hobby to get into.

The viv you picked (Exo Terra) is a great viv. My son and I have six of them now in all different sizes. You might consider adding a piece of glass to fit on the top to help keep the humidity up for poison dart frogs (PFD's).

As far as which PDF to start out with I'd say most any of the Tincs are a good choice. I would say don't worry about breeding yet, just worry about getting your feet wet by keeping them and all their needs (temps, humidity, fruit flies, etc...).

As side from keep the glass clean that's about it. There's no real need to clean out the viv. Your plants will take up any of the waste matter left from the PDF's.

Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM

Hey Lon!

Tnx for welcoming me!

Yes I was wondering about the top of the viv... I was quite shure that glass or something is need to keep humidity high, but still i don't know how (where) do i put lights? and ventilators (and how many and why at all )?

The breeding is just thinking forward... So i don't bother about that so mutch...

O that's great I really don't like cleaning! hehe

Thanks for the good wishes!
Klemen

Old 01-04-2007, 09:22 PM

Welcome to dendroboard! I'm not sure about the tank, but others here seem to like the exo-terras. I prefer the original aqaurium with a glass top. Thats just me though. And as for a good beginner frog, I would recommend either the D. leucomela or the D. auratus. I have both and they are relatively easy to care for. As for cleaning the tank, I agree with dartman, its not necessary..........Sara
Old 01-04-2007, 09:34 PM

I have a aqaurium but i think I will go with exo-terra... Now i have finally chosen auratus, but im still deciding about color... And I hope that they will be avalible... It's not a lot of people in Slovenia who are breeding frogs, so that's quite a problem... But luckely i found someone form my country who is willing to help me.

Klemen
Old 01-04-2007, 09:43 PM

welcome to the board

I am a newbie too - I look forward to learning with you!

If I had the money, I would start right off with the Exo-terra. I think you made a good choice!

-jen
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM

Tnx Jen!

Well i have same money problems hehe. Keep me posted about your further progress

Good lucky!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgreen
I was quite shure that glass or something is need to keep humidity high, but still i don't know how (where) do i put lights? and ventilators (and how many and why at all )?
You'll have to experiment with covering the top up and it will all depend on the area where you live and how much humidity you have naturally. I only use one piece of glass on top during the winter and I leave the other panel of screening not covered with glass. The heat we have in our house is very dry so I need to slow the evaporation rate down. In the summer we have very humid weather and our temps reach in the 90-degrees F at times, so I remove all of the glass to release heat build up from the lights. What ever you cover your top with (i.e. glass, celaphane, etc..) make sure you can remove it to make adjustments, things change througout the year.

As far as the lights go, depending on what type you use and how much heat they throw off you just lay them on top or hang them so they are 2"-3" above the top of the viv so they can breath. I mainly use the dome shaped lights with a screw fluorescent bulb:

You've find others around here that use other types of lights.

As for ventiating, I do not use any fans on my Exo Terra and I've never had any problems with fogging up or condensation. Again, get it set up, place some sort of covering over the top or part of the top and let it go for a day or two. Then take some reading of tempertures amd humidity and make adjustments.

All the Best!