Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM

Default General Viv Maintenance...

I've had my 4 leucs for three weeks now, and I was just wondering what most of you do in terms of cleaning your tanks? I can see the feces starting to accumulate on the brom leaves, and I was wondering how people clean? Just remove it, spray it off...?

I also have a water pond, but no waterfall or filter, so the water is not moving. I siphoned that last week and replaced with new water, and I expect to do this every few weeks. Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 08:48 PM

I just do spot cleaning on mine, if I see some froggy poop on a leaf or somewhere else in an unsightly location, I just clean that off. But if it's on the substrate, it should help the plants grow, so I leave that. Otherwise, just change leaf litter every 6 months, and siphon off any dirty water in your pond/water bowl (or just change the waterbowl water lol), and add more as evaporation happens. Hope that helps, Jess
Old 10-22-2006, 08:49 PM

Spray the frog poop off the leaves onto the substrate and let bacteria break it down thus providing fertilizer for the plants.

As for your water pond, no water changes are necessary unless it becomes a stinking mess or totally cloudy...the brown sludge that is accumulating at the bottom makes excellent tadpole conditions once your frogs start breeding and carry the tads to water.

Bill

Old 10-22-2006, 08:55 PM

Bill,

That is an interesting take on the pond water. I changed it because there did seem to be a little odor. My pond is not that big. It's only about 0.5" deep and maybe 3" or so in diameter. Is this enough of a pond for the frogs to carry their tads to?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:53 PM

I treat my ponds the same way Bill does. With tanks that have ponds, they usually need siphoned monthly or so, but that's as much attention as they get. Poop is generally ignored unless it's on the glass, then I spray it into the soil.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Khamul

Frog poop = Plant fertilizer.
Dirty water = Plant feritlizer.
Dirty Glass =
well that just gets cleaned.
Any questions?
:lol:

Old 10-23-2006, 02:33 AM

This is good to hear. I guess I was thinking the water could be a breeding ground for bacteria that could be harmul to the frogs. But I'm happy to hear that that's not a concern.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 AM

The difference in those little 'ponds' is between relatively clear water with thick brownish (or green) sludge on the bottom (GOOD) and cloudy stinky water of various colors (BAD). Now even the good version has an interesting smell (smelled water from your local pond recently?) but it's not going to harm the frogs, at least in my experience.

Now all that cruddy stuff in the bottom....that's tadpole delight. As for the size of your pool, I've had a number of frogs deposit in water sources equal to or smaller than that....the trick is getting the tads out of them 8)

Bill
Old 10-23-2006, 05:46 PM

I think the first 3-4 months I changed my standing pool/pond water out, but after that it never smelled and only takes on a slight tan/tea color. I think once the natural bio things starts happening it all kind takes care of itself.

As far as the pppo on the leaves and/or glass, I just hit with my spray bottle until it falls off and I leave it lay to break down and fertilize the plants.

I think all would have to agree, PDF's are the simplest animals to take care of once you're set up and running. My son and I keep PDF's, geckos, snakes, salamanders, & tree frogs. The PDF's are the easiest to keep of all the animals. Their waste is minimal and their food is CHEAP and easy.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoisfive
The difference in those little 'ponds' is between relatively clear water with thick brownish (or green) sludge on the bottom (GOOD) and cloudy stinky water of various colors (BAD). Now even the good version has an interesting smell (smelled water from your local pond recently?) but it's not going to harm the frogs, at least in my experience.
You must have some nice ponds in Indiana (undoubtedly a much cleaner state), I've never been able to compare the smell of a CO pond to that of a viv. My vivs smell a lot like licorice, not really anything like raw sewage. :roll:

Quote:
Now all that cruddy stuff in the bottom....that's tadpole delight. As for the size of your pool, I've had a number of frogs deposit in water sources equal to or smaller than that....the trick is getting the tads out of them 8)

Bill

-Who knows
Old 10-24-2006, 12:12 AM

I find adding salvinia or riccia to the pond will keep it fresh, with little (if ever) need to replace the water.

S
Old 10-24-2006, 01:02 AM

Any (plants) will help as long as they are 'growing'.

-Who knows
Old 10-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Khamul

Plants like Salvinia and especially Azolla are good becuase they are nitrogen fixers getting rid of nasty ammonia and excess phosphorous in the water.
Problem with Azolla is that it needs tons of light.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khamul1of9
Problem with Azolla is that it needs tons of light.
That and the fact it (&duckweed) can stop the circulation if there's no barrier between it and the pump and once it's in a viv it can be a real pain to irradicate.

I like salvania (It's deffinately cleaning/taking something available from the water to grow as quick as it does) since that doesn't seem to be a problem.

-Who knows
Old 10-26-2006, 01:41 AM
Khamul

Salvinia in aquariums is good, doesnt need so much water and can be easily removed if you ever get tired of it or if there is too much of it.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:36 PM

Yeah, I love Salvinia, but, unfortunately, so do snails Lemnas is good, as well, but, yeah, it does have a nasty habit of clogging up pumps, and and frolicking PDFs also love to scatter that stuff all over their vivs. Little buggers :P
BTW, does CO2 bombing a viv get rid of aquatic snails? Not to hijac the thread, of course, but...

- Josh
Old 10-26-2006, 10:46 PM
Khamul

I would imagine that you can sufficate any animals with CO2. In the water or in the air. I think you would have to saturate the water with CO2 and at the same time fill your viv with CO2 using dry ice method to get rid of any snails. Snails, even aquatic one can often be found out of the water.
Then you would have to repeat the process a few times to get any snails that hatched after the first treatment.
HOw effective is it to kill snails by saturating the water with CO2??? I really don't know, but if you have the time and the stuff to work with, why not experiment.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 PM

Most snails that are pests in aquariums need to come up for air periodically...they only breathe through their lungs and maybe a little through their skin...no gills.