Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Beginner Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Hidden within the shadows of secrecy (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/15013-hidden-within-shadows-secrecy.html)

shawn13 09-27-2006 12:08 AM

Hidden within the shadows of secrecy

My tank is undergoing alot of work. Wood chips are flying.LOL.
I am nearing my purchase of some D.azureus (cobalt). I have a fealing that the only thing that's going to postpone it is locating specific scientific names of plants that inhabit its invoronment. My ambition is to set up its tank in effect of its nature surroundings.
Is there any way I can gain information on this?

SusannahJoy 09-27-2006 12:46 AM

just look through all the topics in the plants section. there's tons of info there, and it's all pretty easy to read and figure out and all that. good luck!

Dendrobait 09-27-2006 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you can find the D. auratus and D. tinctorius morphguides from Tropical Experience(they are linked on here a few times) they have an excellent little article of visiting azureus in their natural habitat with photos.

sbreland 09-27-2006 03:49 AM

I'm confused, are you planning on getting azureus or cobalts? You know they aren't the same thing right??

shawn13 09-27-2006 10:53 AM

Oh...sorry. Didn't see plant section.

Thanks susannahjoy. Maybe ther's hope on finding the plants I'm looking for. I'll browse that section.

shawn13 09-27-2006 11:13 AM

Sorry

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking. Probably, thinking of two different frogs caused a crossbreed in my vocabulary. LOL.
I ment, D.azureus (azure blue) and was thinking about the D.tinctorius (cobalt) Dwarf French Guiana..
The frog I am getting first is the azureus and will be attempting to track down specific plants of its natural habitat.

09-27-2006 05:01 PM

this will get you to the tropical exp site.
http://www.tropical-experience.nl/about.php?menu=0

i didnt see anything about azureus in there (didnt look long) but its got all the tincs in a morphguide showing their location. there are a lot of habitat photos if you click the more info links.

good luck with this and LMK how it turns out. im always interested in area specific tanks.

shawn13 09-27-2006 08:15 PM

Maybe good info!

Thanks,
I'll really sit down and persue my quest through your mentioned site. Oooh, how I've sought many a times for this but boomeranged back.
Even if there's no input on plants I'll render to the azureus it may provide me with enough input for the tincs. I'll keep you posted.
again, Thanks

ralph 09-27-2006 10:28 PM

Coincidentally, I was having a good read of that site today.

Here is a link to the page on studying D.azureus in the wild (Surviving the Sipaliwini in Search of Dendrobates azureus).

"Tadpoles were discovered in water that had collected in palm cataphylls and boots. We observed, for one of the first times in nature, D. azureus tadpoles in the axils of a bromeliad (Aechmea bromelifolia). Some adult frogs were found hiding in another bromeliad,..."

shawn13 09-28-2006 12:34 AM

Right after I read your letter I readily shot over to the reccomended places to investigate. I believe I'll be very successful with getting the names of the plants, thanks to you.
I checked out a little on the Aechmea bromelifolia.
Thanks,
Shawn