Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Default 4 froglets/D. azureus question

I have 0.0.4 azures. they are currently all in a 29 tall viv, all are eating quite well and are active hunters. 2 of them are the same size(3/4 in), 3rd a lil bigger(1") and 4th quite bigger(1 1/4). I have 2 more vivs set up so that I can seperate them into pairs. Question I have is should I wait till they are sexable to seperate them or go ahead and do it now by size? If I do it now will it be ok to move them again when I figure out if I have pairs or not? Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions. Antonio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2006, 09:52 PM

You could move them now, but what would be the point? If they are too young for you to tell sexual differentiation by toepads, then size isn't going to be very reliabel and therefore isn't going to do you much good. If the toepads give you a hint on sexes now, you might as well move them and reevaluate a little later when it becoes more clear to decide if there need to be any repairing. They will be fine to move later if you later determine that you have 2 same sex frogs in the tank, although if you get a pair that establishes themselves together you should leave them together.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM

Antonio
My recommendation would be to separate them now into 2 groups...one containing the 2 smallest members.

This will serve a few purposes, the most important of which is to allow the smaller ones to eat without competition. Juvi darts will grow faster if housed alone IME, (or in pairs by necessity).

Likely you will need to pair them up as they mature at 10-14 months old, but you can do that at a later date. Even waiting until the females are thick/gravid would be fine. No need to rush things.

They breed regularly by 14 mo for me in black film containers placed on the floor horizontally, dry, usually tucked under the base of a plant for cover.

Best of luck with them

Shawn

Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM

Default 3 leucs

Thanks for the tips. Think I will sepperate them now. I,ve also got three leucs together 2 of the same size on is easily 2x as big will it be fine left in with the other 2?