Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 05:50 PM

Default setting up an imi tank

howdy all,
im about to set up an imitator tank. its 24x12x24. i have a coralife 1 x 65w CF light...will this be to much? also what else should i include in the tank. im going to do a great stuff background. im not a fan of water features. to me the noise they create would make me go insane if i was 4 inches from it 24hours a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM

a single 65w should be fine. i have a 24" tall tank i run wuth a single 65w and i get good growth out of it. with 2 running i was growing moss like mad at the bottom, but with only one i loose that insane growth.

IMO, you should aslo include wood (situated to create hides and perches), and some type of egg laying and tad deposition spots (if you plan to breed them).

BTW, would you be 4" away from the water feature 24 hours a day? or are you concerned for the frogs? would one make you go insane from being 4' from it 2 hours a day? sorry, dont mean to sound like a smart ass. and, i dont have much experience with imis, but my vents are much more active/visible with a water feature. imis seem to be more bold, and may not have any affection for water, but just a point..... i barely hear my water feature thats in with the vents. only when im right next to it, or the lid is off (in which case hopefully im right next to it )
Old 08-10-2006, 07:14 PM

i mean for the frogs. a buddy has a tank with a water feature and if you take the lid off its like roaring rapids. seems like it would make a frog go nuts with never any quite. like if we had air supply playing 24 hours a day. eventually you would kill someone. im still up in the air with either imi's or leucs for this tank. i have tincs, azureus, and auratus already. how often do you see your imi's? like a game of hide and seek right?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:24 PM

no, my group of 5 are very visable, they are always out. I dont think they like the water to much, but i dont have it. if you provide enough hiding they will be more visable if they know they can dart into hiding, they like the height though.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:33 PM

there was a discussion about this earlier (which is why i asked the Q) and some people were pointing out that frogs dont hear white noise. i do believe these poeple were just hypothesising (word?) but it makes sense to me, as ive never seen a frog bothered by my stereo or TV.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:39 PM

We can filter out white noise, I would assume (dangerous word there!) that frogs coud as well. I used to live off of a busy ntersection, and the traffic noise never bothered me except when I went out of town for awhile and came back - I could never sleep well for the first few nights, and the traffic seemed excessively noisy. After awhile, I tuned it out.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:03 AM

my house maintains a constant 80 degrees. is this going to be to high for the imi's? also for the 30g tall ( 24x12x24 ) what would you recommend for a group? to me it seems a wee bit large for hunting FF's / springtails for just a pair. and would a group be more bold then a pair?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedjester
my house maintains a constant 80 degrees. is this going to be to high for the imi's? also for the 30g tall ( 24x12x24 ) what would you recommend for a group? to me it seems a wee bit large for hunting FF's / springtails for just a pair. and would a group be more bold then a pair?
ususally my tanks run 5-10* hotter than room temp. id say you may run into problems wiht 80* ambient temps.

i dont like reccomending high numbers after my vent experience, but i can tell you 30g is not too much real estate for 2. think about how far in nature they have to travel to find food....way more than 24 inches.

as far as more bold group or pair, its going to depend on the frogs. my thought in putting a group of vents in a tank, was that i should always be able to see at least one. there would be times when i wouldnt see any for a few days (wihtout really digging around), now i see the pair all the time.