Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Beginner Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Request opinions =)

I have been into terrariums for quite a while, mainly growing carnivorus plants, orchids, and rare bonsai and have decided to add frogs to my tank. I have been researching and lurking forums for several months now and have drawn out plans, researched materials, and found a breeder in my area that has the frogs that i want. I researched the native locale of the frogs and chose plants accordingly so that the environment can be stable for the entire "community" all i have left is to build the tank and pop in the frogs. I have just a few questions that i would like answered on pure aesthetic opinion, and by no means backed by fact (i have about 300 pages of printed pages from around the world on facts)

Before reading further, note that i found a picture of a place in Suriname (where the frogs and plants are from) and i am trying to base my tank on that photo.

#1 I have decided to have a cascade waterfall into a shallow pond. I need to decide on a type of background. here are the options
a) acrylic "simulated rock background" by habiscape. basically 3D textured plastic painted to look like rock
b) real rocks piled up in one corner like slate or granite or limestone
c) cork bark with rocks at the bottom (i never have seen a spring come out of a tree before, but it might look neat)
d) a loose "pile" of driftwood that the water tumbles down
which do you all think would look the best and what are some of the pros and cons of these methods

#2 I have a 20 gallon tall tank that will be the home to my new frogs, will be set up with a false bottom, moving water and lots of different levels for the plants. i need to know which you think would look better as a creeper to cover the background
a) a "up" grower like a Ficus Pulmaria that roots down and grows up
b) a "down" grower like a peperomia that roots high and droops down to hang like a curtian.
c) a moss that would cover the whole back in a carpet like mat
I already have all these plants and they are thriving in my other tanks, so either is an option, but i wonder which would look best after time passes.

Thats it, just asking for visual aestitic opinion, i can work out the logistic of the details as i need to. will post a pictoral journal of it too so that you can all tell me when i do something wrong =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2004, 04:59 PM

Hello,
Nice to see another TerraForums member!

#1: B is the most natural answer I was going to do this,(stack 5 small slates up, then one larger one that would just out an inch. i would then sandpaper the top one to make the edgeat an angle, so I get a waterfall, not a trickle.

#2: I would go with A and C. For A, get a Philidendron. they will grow up the back wall, and back down, and eventually cover the entire back wall and move to scrambling in the dirt. For C, get a bit of Spanish moss. It looks great in vivarium. unfortunately frogs can hide in it... :evil: :x

Good Luck,
-Spectabilis
Old 02-25-2004, 05:33 PM

Okay, so real rock looks better, then use cork for the background? or should i still use the simulated rock? i really want to see this simulated rock in person to see how real it looks.

I thought about a Philidendron, but from my experience, the small leaf versions dont do too well in high humidity. they are like orchids that like to get really dry before waterings. Have you had different experiences?q

you would recomend spanish moss over Java moss? i really like the aquatic/terrestrial options you have with it, why would spanish moss be superior?

Old 02-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default Spanish moss

Spanish moss is actually an air plant, a tillandsia. Most people do not have very good luck with them in terrariums. They need a lot of ventilation!

Family: Bromeliaceae
Genus: Tillandsia (til-LAND-see-uh)
Species: usneoides (us-nee-OY-deez)

I would stick with java moss.

Melis
Old 02-25-2004, 05:48 PM

good, thats what i thought, but never having actually attempted a frog tank, it's neat to hear about other people's experiences!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:16 PM

personally, I would stay away from fake rock. It sounds like your tank is going to be too nice to "fake" up. As for backgrounds, I think cork is the most natural looking. Also, I would love to see a rock water fall...real rock like slate. If you used cork background, and slate for a waterfall, I think you would have a really killer tank.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:38 PM

MBMcEwen, thank you! thats the kind of response i was looking for! rock on it will be as you say. now i just gotta find cork.... i think there is a post here somewhere having to do with that.....
Old 02-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default You need cork?

Hey, we just got a couple of bales (120 lbs) we should have some.

Melis
Old 02-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Request opinions =)

I've seen the plastic wall stuff, and it looks very very bad. You'll want to stay away from that. You could get a piece of drift wood to use as a waterfall, or some larger rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmunky
I have been into terrariums for quite a while, mainly growing carnivorus plants, orchids, and rare bonsai and have decided to add frogs to my tank. I have been researching and lurking forums for several months now and have drawn out plans, researched materials, and found a breeder in my area that has the frogs that i want. I researched the native locale of the frogs and chose plants accordingly so that the environment can be stable for the entire "community" all i have left is to build the tank and pop in the frogs. I have just a few questions that i would like answered on pure aesthetic opinion, and by no means backed by fact (i have about 300 pages of printed pages from around the world on facts)

Before reading further, note that i found a picture of a place in Suriname (where the frogs and plants are from) and i am trying to base my tank on that photo.

#1 I have decided to have a cascade waterfall into a shallow pond. I need to decide on a type of background. here are the options
a) acrylic "simulated rock background" by habiscape. basically 3D textured plastic painted to look like rock
b) real rocks piled up in one corner like slate or granite or limestone
c) cork bark with rocks at the bottom (i never have seen a spring come out of a tree before, but it might look neat)
d) a loose "pile" of driftwood that the water tumbles down
which do you all think would look the best and what are some of the pros and cons of these methods

#2 I have a 20 gallon tall tank that will be the home to my new frogs, will be set up with a false bottom, moving water and lots of different levels for the plants. i need to know which you think would look better as a creeper to cover the background
a) a "up" grower like a Ficus Pulmaria that roots down and grows up
b) a "down" grower like a peperomia that roots high and droops down to hang like a curtian.
c) a moss that would cover the whole back in a carpet like mat
I already have all these plants and they are thriving in my other tanks, so either is an option, but i wonder which would look best after time passes.

Thats it, just asking for visual aestitic opinion, i can work out the logistic of the details as i need to. will post a pictoral journal of it too so that you can all tell me when i do something wrong =)
Old 02-26-2004, 12:31 AM

Here is how I handled a waterfall.

I glued a rock horizontally where I wanted the waterfall to originate, and used this same rock to pin the outflow tube in place. Then arranged some other rocks where the water could flow over or onto. This method gave me two interesting features 1) a cliff that the frogs enjoy sitting on (and laying eggs on) 2) a rock cave behind the waterfall where the frogs like the hang (and lay eggs).

I posted a pic for you.

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/index.pl ... 0&size=big
Old 02-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks Kyle, i am glad someone has actually seen it and knows that it looks like crap. I'll take your advice and go for the cork.

Melissa, Thanks for the offer, will probably take you up on that!

Will, I actually have a picture of that whole terrarium in my folder as a reference for really nice ones with ideas that i like! I think it is really impressive how you created a cave for them without any crevices that they could escape into. very cool.