Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Species > Adelphobates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM

Default Red galact color change over time

Given the amount of discussion on galact morphs and colors, it seems it would be pleasurable and useful to look at variation among members of a single morph.

I received red galacts from Pat Nabors in 2010 and again last week. On his site, he says he has a few bloodlines which aren't kept separate. The new ones are so orange I sent him this picture just to make sure there wasn't a mistake! He assured me they were the right frogs and tells me they can and do change color as they age. The Dendroboard morph guide additionally notes the hue can vary among clutch mates.

The following photo was taken last week. The very orange frog is approximately half a year old, the very red one is almost three, but both "red".

Is anyone able to post other examples of the range of colors in a single galact morph, either between clutch mates or of the same frog over time?
1.1 azureus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Default Re: Red galact color change over time

I don't have example pics, but my first group of reds pre ice storm disaster came from him, and my current group plus 2 extras I picked up awhile after, all originated from him (as most red galacts do, with a few exceptions).

Anyways ya some start out very orange, but all I've seen/heard about from him have turned red in the end. I had one in the first group that showed up young and a nice red while the other 3 were orange...I started to panic...and that frog later turned into a very very dark maroon while the others all turned the classic red. It was about the darkest red galact I've ever seen. Wish I had pics because in all these years, I think I've only seen a pic of one other red galact as dark.

...So no need to panic and I know there have been many others that were afraid their red galacts would never be red, but it will work out I think.

That is one of the lighter orange ones I've seen though, I don't think any of mine were that light...but did you just pull him from the shipping box before that photo? Because sometimes they go kinda pale in shipping then color back up once they've been in the light and in the viv for awhile. Either way, I wouldn't worry...it will likely be red within a year.

Also I'd suggest not keeping frogs that far apart in size together... It is just safer and generally better for the smaller frog if it doesn't have to compete with a larger frog for food, or be stressed by being the small guy even if you always feed plenty of food.

In the long run it just gives him the best start in life possible.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 04-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dendro Dave For This Useful Post:
shockingelk (04-08-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 AM

My reds hatch oow orange also, I will shoot some photos for you tonight if I remember durring feeding