Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Santa Isabel female calling

Yeah, it turns out it was a male. Apparently I got one of the swaps between the two groups wrong. I noticed that the proven female was looking gravid along with another frog in the "2.1" group. I knew for sure that one was a male and one was a female, but the other one that was looking larger was actually the unsexed frog of the group. I kept thinking to "two frogs in 2.1 group are looking gravid, but there should be only one female in there. Do I just have a fat male?" Then I would look in the group that was supposed to be 2.0.1 and kept thinking that they all looked fairly trim. I switched out the unsexed frog with the other frog that I confused for the calling female. Turns out that male is extremely vocal now that he is away from the other vocal male. The proven female also laid another clutch and unsexed frog is still looking gravid. I'm hoping that if it is female that she will lay soon. The seller is pretty sure it is a female and I'm starting to really think the same.
Some of the males in this group are surprisingly loud! I can hear them all the way upstairs about 2 rooms away from the stair case. I'm not complaining. Their calls are beautiful. It is just surprising how much noise a frog that measures just under and inch can make.
There is still one male that I have not witnessed calling yet. Usually after a few minutes of calls that I don't recognize, I will run into the frog room and look in the viv. Usually the caller is perched some where and still has a little bit of air in the calling "bubble" or what ever it is called. I am sure that at least 3 males have called at one point from checking.
It sure is fun to here them when the have calling battles. Almost every time one starts, the other three will start. It used to be just one at a time, but I guess they are getting more bold now.