Dendroboard - View Single Post - is it a must for clay substrate for pumilio?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomR00 View Post
It could however unlike reptiles, we don't have anything that allows penetration. Glass filters UVB and even the mesh most people utilize for vents filters majority due to the small holes. You would need the wire mesh that are on top of reptile enclosures, however that would prevent a problem a it would allow FF escapes which no one wants.
This makes me wonder... Why don't more people use Starfire glass? You'd be able to solve both those problems since UV can penetrate it and fruit flies can't.

Is it the cost?

I've haven't looked into finding it locally yet, but Glass Cages sells it for $10/sq ft. So it's like $20 for an 18x18x24 exo. That doesn't seem to be that bad to me.

Obviously, using both starfire and a clay substrate would be the best. However, if costs were a concern and you were choosing one over the other... I would think the glass would be a better option since it is easily reusable (please don't hate me Doug haha)