Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Santa Isabel female calling

I recently got a 4.1.1 group of SI's. I split them in to 2 groups. 2.1 and 2.0.1 The 2.1 group laid eggs about 4 days after I got them. The 2.0.1 group recently started calling after switching males around to get the vocal males in each group. I was spying on the 2.0.1 group today after one male started calling. I noticed the 0.0.1 (suspected female) was replying with vocal noise. It was audible, but not quite as loud as the male. It was quite a bit slower and of a lower pitch then the male. Pretty much like a tiiiickkk....tiiiickkk....tiiiickkk. Unlike the males fast high pitched call.
Has anybody witnessed a female calling or is this frog a male? I have heard calls like this before, but it was when the groups still weren't straightened out and I had a group of 1.1.1 and the rest of the males in the other. That is when I got eggs from the proven female and the male in that group.

I don't know very much detail about this sub-group of frogs and I could not find anything about females calling here on the forum. I thought I would ask before jumping to conclusions.