Dendroboard - View Single Post - is it a must for clay substrate for pumilio?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Default Re: is it a must for clay substrate for pumilio?

I feel alone on this side of the room. Clay substrate is in no way a must for pumilio. Calcium supplements are a must. Clay substrate is thought to be beneficial but does not replace the need for calcium supplements.

I personally do not use any clay based substrate. Although I have no objections to it, I have no interest in it. I value it, but I also value the substrate that I use. I have raised a lot of pumilio froglets to adult hood with virtual no loss. I do pull the froglets as soon as I find them and raise them in smaller tanks where I can better control their food.

My growout tanks are very well seeded with springtails which I feed with Repashy Bug Burger (available at many of our sponsor (with the exception of myself right now - an oversight)), which contains calcium. Springtails eat the bug burger, gain calcium, and the pumilio froglets eat the springtails. I also use bug burger in all of my breeding tanks as feeding stations, instead of the common fruit.

Don't get me wrong, clay substrate has it's place and is a great substrate.

Brad