Dendroboard - View Single Post - What kinds of darts can raise their own tads?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 11:16 PM

If you set up your tank correctly, techinically any dendrobatidae will have its young morph out in the tank. All Dendrobatids care for the eggs and transport the tadpoles to a suitable water source. I've had members of each of the "main groups" of PDFs in the hobby (tinc, thumbnail, eggfeeder, epipedobates) had young successfully morph in tank. You just need the correct water feature for the species.

As for literal care of the tads, meaning feeding, only thumbnails (the "Quiq" species group - fants, imis, lamasi, vents, etc) and eggfeeders (pumilio, histos, etc) will do this. If the appropriate water source is present (depends on the species, some like broms, some don't use broms but rather anything that holds water such as film canisters), and you have a breeding pair, they should deposit their young, and hopefully feed them feeder eggs.

Personal experience - tinc group and epipedobates need a nice puddle to deposit their tads in that will produce enough food for them to eat (detritus and bacteria - if set up right and not overpopulated you don't have to touch the tads at all). I've had truncatus and tricolor do this successfully where I didn't touch the tads in the tank (other than to remove tads to keep the pond from overpopulating, the things breed like rabbits!). I've written a number of posts on how I've set up my ponds to do this.

Never had puddles/ponds in the thumbnail and pumilio tanks - they always had broms and/or water holding containers in their tanks to deposit tads. I occassionally pulled eggs or tads from the imis, but usually just let them be, and pulled out half grown froglets out of the imi and pumilio tanks.