Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Property value of hobbiest's homes

I am a full time professor and sell real estate on the side. It can help or hurt your situation. The more clutter the worse it is. I would removed all "bug" cultures because this may cause concern for the buyers. Explain in detail what will remain and what you are taking, if you have shelves mounted. If you have water stains or damage due to the care of the frogs put some money to the side to give a "flooring credit" or something similar.

Now, if you keep the tanks is display condition it could help. It would make the house stand out in their memory. I have seen things like aquariums help sell the house because the buyers remembered that house. Plus, if you take care of the tanks it makes you look like the kind of person that takes care of the house.

I would recommend trying to find a temporary place to store your collection while it is being sold. This is a good idea because you may get a buyer that wants you out in 30 days. Also, if you don't qualify for a loan to carry two mortgages you will have to move out of your first home before you close on your second home. Having a plan on where to store the frogs is best. You really want the house to look like "their" house and not "your" house. Selling a house is all about making the buyer feel like they own it before they buy it. It is hard when you are confronted with a HUGE visual distraction like a collection of tanks