Dendroboard banner

Are azureus eggs typically larger than tinctorius? (HUGE azureus eggs)

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chinoanoah 
#1 ·
My Azureus pair laid their second clutch last week, 4 HUGE, healthy eggs. They are developing quickly, but they are the largest dart frog eggs I've seen. I'm curious if any of you have had a similar experience. Is it diet, health, or are there other factors at work? I wouldn't think azureus eggs would be significantly larger than tinctorius eggs by nature.

The tinctorius eggs on the left are only a day or two ahead in stage, but a week or two older (developed slow initially). The azureus eggs on the right are about twice the size at least and are only a week old.

Any thoughts? Not complaining but I'm curious. The Azureus female I raised from a froglet, the others I've had only a few weeks.

See less See more
#3 ·
they're definitely good... mostly curious about the reasons for the change in egg size. I would suspect better nutrition, more consistent food, more in the mood, etc... but I wasn't sure if anyone else had similar experiences or answers... just interesting

#5 ·
Right... The others are s. cobalts.

The cobalts have laid more clutches (2 a week) so that may be part of it. There's definitely a noticeable size difference, but the Cobalts aren't small eggs. The azureus eggs are just huge... twice the size at least. The female azureus is nabors line and I raised her from a froglet. The male and cobalt pair I bought about 3 weeks ago.

#9 ·
man the azureus male is workin GREAT for my female. She's laying about a clutch of 4 a week... all have been good.

The cobalts have laid some really good clutches and some bad clutches but are definitely happy and healthy. here's their new 55 gallon home in my classroom:

I've got 20 tads and counting... about 16 developing eggs too

The Leucs are happy and healthy in their temporary home too! thanks again man! it's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.