Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Ranitomeya imitator - Intermediate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahir tareen View Post
is it known what species the 'tarapoto' imitator is thought to mimic? I can see the resemblance of 'nominal' imitator with R. variabilis, 'banded' imitators with R. summersi, and the 'varadaro' imitator with R. fantasticus.

What i would really like to see is a list of all known imitator morphs and the species/morph they are thought to mimic.

any thoughts?
Not all of the imitator morphs mimic other species. I think the answer to your question comes with knowledge of the geography of the range of imitator. Tarapoto, Chazuta, and baja Huallaga are located in between the ranges of the spotted morph (variabilis mimic), the banded morph (summersi mimic), and the lowland striped morph (lowland variabilis [formerly ventrimaculata] mimic). Thus, 'Tarapoto', 'Chazuta', and 'baja Huallaga' likely just represent hybrids of the other morphs. This also might explain why these morphs are so variable.