Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Planning to build 24x24x36 viv

Well I revised my plan and now I think I'm gonna do this:

It'll be made from 3/4" birch plywood and 1x2" pine boards. The overall height is 6'. It is 25 1/2" front to back, and 24" wide. The substrate box part is 7 1/4" deep, and the side windows measure 21"x37".

Questions I have, is 7.25" deep enough for the substrate? I'll have a 1.5" or so false bottom with a drain to the cabinet underneath. Then the top of the substrate will be about 2" below the rim, so there will only be about 3" of soil. I plan on putting a jewel orchid, sinningia, and misc other terrestrail plants in the bottom, so I want to be sure I have enough soil for them.

Also how would you suggest adding ventilation to this thing? Only idea I have is to drill some holes/slots along the top of the substrate box part. How big and how many holes would I need?

And, anyone have suggestions for making a door for the front? I'd prefer a single piece hinged along one side. My idea is making a frame out of 1x2's and fixing the glass in it somehow.

I haven't started building yet but I have all the materials (not the glass), just waiting for a warm day to go outside and cut all the wood.