Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 AM

Default Re: A New Way to Grow Terrarium Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Yep you are right this is like a variation of some methods that people have already been using, but I hope to get it fully resolved as a product line with these user-friendly kits.

I have wondered about using this with desert vivs, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yes the drainage through those pots is tricky because down in that void space the humidity must be near 100%. I think that the airline running to the void space is very important. The potting mix that I have been using is 1:1 pro mix plus hydroton and it drains well, but still stays very wet after watering. For using these in a dart frog viv I think it will be best to time misting for short durations so that it will maintain humidity. but not run off and run down into the planters.
i dont see why it would be a problem. the airline tubing is nice and like i mentioned earlier it seems like its very similar to a deep water culture hydroponics set up (with the airline tubing). ive used DWC for years in a number of different growing operations with excellent success. the extremely high humidity doesnt seem to affect the plant's growth in any negative way when the water remains well oxygenated. in fact i often see new leaf sets appear on a daily basis, in cases producing such vigorous growth that leaves appear mutated by the process. perhaps you could take a page from the hydroponics book and use s super well draining medium like tiny rockwool cubes, crushed lava rock or mini LECA (or a combination of these) and ditch the organic element completely. if you added an appropriate air diffuser and placed the air line underwater you would have what i might consider to be the perfect terrarium hydro set up

very basic explanation but one that accurately describes what i'm referring to (although i have to believe that you already know all about this hydrophyte )
Deep water culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

how are the legs attached to the top panel BTW? are the molded in, glued on, or does it just rest on them?