Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:46 AM

Default Re: A New Way to Grow Terrarium Plants

If I were you I would market these with hydroponic baskets, makes drainage much easier, its what i used in many of the setups. There are a few places you can get them wholesale to offer complete kits with. As for the media I found using a mostly charcoal, sphagnum and orchid bark media did well. I never had much issue with plants not adapting to it.

As for the desert vivs, it works well, it really cuts back on the weight of the viv and excess sand you need in order to normally cover up and go around the plant pots. I used a more dense soil mix though for holding humidity in the roots,

This setup idea overall really does help mange the root structure of the plants in the vivs and makes it possible to mswap out a plant if needed without completely ripping up the viv.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Yep you are right this is like a variation of some methods that people have already been using, but I hope to get it fully resolved as a product line with these user-friendly kits.

I have wondered about using this with desert vivs, but I haven't tried it yet.

Yes the drainage through those pots is tricky because down in that void space the humidity must be near 100%. I think that the airline running to the void space is very important. The potting mix that I have been using is 1:1 pro mix plus hydroton and it drains well, but still stays very wet after watering. For using these in a dart frog viv I think it will be best to time misting for short durations so that it will maintain humidity. but not run off and run down into the planters.

With change comes dislike and I'm not liking many of you !