Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Ok so i guess this is an update on the progress i did this weekend. I made a new false bottom but this time the sides of it are made of styrofoam. I found it easier to work with and got some good rock effects using drylock and paint. I then sealed the side banks with silicone and sprinkles some sand and gravel here and there. I used a piece of eggcrate and weed blocker to make the entrance for water underneath the FB and not to allow animals there. One concern with this is that it might get clogged if some algae or something grows in there what do you guys think? I was thinkin even if that happened i can rip it out and replace it with fikter sponge or something.

Another thing i got done is one of my water features. I used sprayfoam and some of the background the exo came with. I also used styrofoam to make a cave under the waterfall that can be viewed from the side of the tank. I also used styrofoam to make the pool atop the waterfall. I will be testing this tomorrow to see if the water flows where i want it to. After i got the waterfall into the shape i wanted i painted (so if i miss a spot with peat) the greatstuff and siliconed some coco/peat mix. I am going to make another water feature using the piece of mopani you see resting on the waterfall in the pictures.

After i see if the waterfeatures will work will start on the background. I plan on putting a few pots in the wall and came up with the idea of glueing some corbark on them before putting them in the GS background. I got some airline tubing and covered with silicone and peat and IMO looks more realistic the the vines you buy in per stores. I will incorperate these into the background and also use them as drainage for background pots. I will also put a decent sized pot on top of the bark pictured in the right corner in the tank. I will be painting the outside of the tank by the FB and GS background to make it more pleasent looking.

Also, I want to included a airstone to keep my water oxygenated for fish, can i put it under the false bottom? I would thing the oxygen that may come up through the substrate above would help plants planted their but thats my opinion. What do you think?

Anyway feel free to give me some suggestions or comments and let me know if you see anything that could be problematic.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1312759548257.jpg (33.4 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1312759584065.jpg (49.1 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1312759659151.jpg (60.0 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1312759746555.jpg (45.0 KB, 206 views)