Dendroboard banner

New 16" Cube - PIC HEAVY!

5K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  afterdark 
#1 ·
My first attempt at a clay background and using Turface as a substrate.

Need to add leaf litter, broms and bugs - all coming next week.

FTS:

Closeup of Turface:

I added a couple more pieces of driftwood so I'd have a few more planting places for the broms I've got coming next week.

Plants are liking the clay:

Comments and questions are welcome. :)

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope - the cube is by RPN. And nope - all I'm planning is leaf litter and maybe a few pockets of an organic mix that I'm making up.

Reworked and replanted:

Replanted 'center cluster':

This new layout gives me a lot more room for new plants next week!

#7 ·
New plants!

4 x Neo. Fireball + pups :)
1 x Ficus pumila 'Rikki'
1 x Ficus pumila 'Bellus'
1 x Ficus pumila 'Oak Leaf'

I also picked up a Peperomia caperata 'Little Fantasy' and a Pleurothallis grobyii. Neither of which are going in this viv. Maybe a cutting of the pep, if I need to fill some space.

Onto the pics:

Left side:

Right side:

Center brom cluster:

#11 ·
Fast growing is the idea. I'm getting a pair of frogs this weekend and I'm hoping they'll like it enough to start breeding right away.

There are actually a couple Philodendron cuttings making their way through the leaf litter so I've got the aroid covered. :) Hoping that'll take off too.

froggies13 - I'm not 100% sure what the wood is called. It's the kind generally available at pet stores. It's quite heavy and dense. Sorry I can't be much more help than that.

The Turface product is called MVP - the coarsest grade they make.

#18 ·
I've had it in a tank for 2+ months so far and have not seen ANY particle breakdown.

Plus, there is this from the manufacutuer's website:
Particle Stability: Sulfate Soundness testing (ASTM C-88) and static degradation test not to exceed 4% loss over 20 years
I'm no scientist, but it sounds to me like it's designed to hold it's form for a LONG time.

#23 ·
Hi. I'm a total newb, no frogs or vivs yet. I keep fish and I am familiar with Oil Dri as an aquarium substrate in a planted aquarium, so I understand the benefits of using it for plants. I was searching to see if Oil Dri could be used instead of LECA as a drainage layer. So I thought I'd check and see how the Turface is working for you??
I was also thinking of mixing some into the soil layer, but not using it as a stand alone substrate. Any opinion on using it as a mix-in?

Thanks,
Patricia

#24 ·
I have been mixing with my wannabe ABG mix along with a handful of redart for my past few vivs, it has been holding up nicely so far and microfauna populations/plants are doing well.

If nothing else, I felt it could give the substrate a bit more structure to keep it from compacting as quickly as a full-on organic substrate might. So far, that theory has held up, but it has only been a few months, so take it for what you will.... I don't really foresee any downsides to using it at this point.

#25 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. The substrate is holding up great in both tanks I'm using it in. I have actually increased the amount of Turface I'm adding to my clay background mix to give it a bit more structure. I like this stuff a lot. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.