Dendroboard - View Single Post - Need help deciding on a frog.
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Need help deciding on a frog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Is there a place where I can search for local froggers? I'm located in Minnesota and maybe i'm just not looking hard enough, but I only know of one place that actually sells dart frogs around here and they only get them in if you order them in.

I read about that species, and read that they have a really loud call. How far away would you say you can hear it from?

I've heard about making a take fruit fly proof also, I have a glass lid that fits over my tank, Is that enough?
There is a regional section which you can find here:

MidWest - Dendroboard

Depending on where you live, it can be tough to find local froggers.I live in a little town. The closest people to me that I found are 3-4 hours away. Looks like I will be doing a little road trip.

Be sure to go to your User CP and list your city and state. That way people will see where you are from when you post and may reach out to help or invite you over.

You can also watch for shows in your region. Lots of people show up there and you may be able to make some contacts. Be careful at the shows. Unleass your tank is completely set up and established, it's far too easy for we new folks to fall in love with something and drag it home when we aren't yet prepared to care for it.

As for purchasing, I would be uncomfortable purchasing from a local shop unless you know where the stock is coming from and are clear that the owners have the knowledge and experience to get them acclimated and settled.

I would lean toward hobbyist breeders or breeders for purchases. Experienced hobbyist/breeders are the best IMHO. They are selling you THEIR CHILDREN and will be able to tell you everything about them. They usually have excellent prices and will do everything in their power to get the frogs to you safely. Same thing for many of the breeders. Most of them became breeders because they were really good hobbyists. If you watch the classifieds here, you can good a good feel for who regularly has stock.

Glass tops are highly recommended. Not so much for keeping fruit flies in. More for humidity retention. In addition, most of the flies are small and love to go on walkabouts. Any small gaps can be sealed with fiberglass screen or weed cloth depending on the application.

I have no experience with Leucs yet. I wont be getting mine for about two to three weeks, give or take. I have yet to read a post where people actually complained the Leucs were keeping them up at night. They typically call during the day. While they can be vocal, I can't imagine they sound like a Howler Monkey !

Keep reading, keep researching and keep asking questions !
The Following User Says Thank You to Zoomie For This Useful Post:
jbherpin (07-12-2011)