Dendroboard - View Single Post - Clay Substrate Rot?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-04-2011, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Clay Substrate Rot?

So, wont this start to happen again once inside the tank and under leaves? I understand there will be air gaps and microfauna flourishing down there, but I cant imagine there being much air circulation. I would rather not have a stink bomb of a tank in my living room.

Also, another question specifically for you Ed. Have you ever fired your clay at higher temperatures, or studied how it would effect the clay? I already posted this question in Pumilo's thread, but never got an concrete reply. I was thinking of firing it at roughly 900-1000 degrees fahrenheit. At this point, the clay will retain it's shape for an extended period of time, but it will not be converted into a ceramic. I realize that most of the other componenets will be burnt and rendered useless, but the calcium carbonate will stay in tack. Im mostly worried about this clay becoming a big lump. It became soft much to fast for my liking during my moisture test run. I might end up mixing it with a bunch of charcoal anyways to help prevent large clumps from forming. Thanks for any info you can give me.