Dendroboard - View Single Post - New Tank, Some Questions!
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Default Re: New Tank, Some Questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthornton View Post
I'm in the UK and our tanks are rubbish. There's no lip and they're really expensive. So I think I'd have to use the hinge and silicone the back sheet of glass down and leave the one being lifted up free.

Is there anyway to do a false bottom without egg crate? That's also ridiculously expensive here.
Ya if there is no inside lip guess you'd have to.

As for a false bottom with no egg crate you'd just have to get inventive. Basically you just need a rigid structure that wouldn't be degraded by the water and is porous enough to allow the water in the false bottom to evaporate back into soil. Honestly nothing comes to mind right away but my guess is some trips to the craft or hardware stores would yield something that would work with a little imagination.

Or just go with leca...really the only downside is a little more weight and less free space to fill with water so its not a big deal if a true false bottom is a hassle due to lack of suitable materials. If you plan on doing multiple vivs though it may be worth the cost to you in the long run. Not sure what it is there but here it usually comes in a 48inch x 12? inch sheet and is like 10-15 dollars I think, and is enough for several smaller vivs, or a couple medium sized ones.