Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM

Thanked 1,765 Times in 1,295 Posts
Default Re: Clay Substrate How-To

Here it is in the viv and ready for the last step. This was in my brothers viv and we decided to hide the edges of the clay with ABG mix. For the last step you dissolve some mycorrhizae inoculant into water and begin misting the viv to re-moisten the clay. Some of the best mycorrhizae inoculants can be found at hydroponics shops. I used a brand called White Widow because it contains 12 different types/species of inoculant.
You want to moisten the clay gradually. Mist it down and wait five minutes for it to soak in. Mist it again and wait 5 more. Continue until clay is fully moistened.
NOTE: Once clay is hydrated it should be disturbed AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE! Too much handling will clump it together. Because of this, I choose to plant it while it is still dry and then quickly mist that planted section. If you need to add plants later, it is best done as cuttings so you can just poke a hole with a piece of wire or a drill bit and stick the cutting right in. You can also just lay the cutting on top and it will eventually take root and begin to grow upright.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dennis viv 019.jpg (100.0 KB, 2142 views)
File Type: jpg Dennis viv 017.jpg (98.7 KB, 1907 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pumilo For This Useful Post:
Jason (02-08-2011), varanoid (10-16-2018)