Dendroboard banner

Pics my new constructed vivarium

719K views 589 replies 232 participants last post by  TS33 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently constructed the background of my new vivarium.
I thought it could be useful so here it is:

I used heated pvc pipes with prolypropylene rope.

I covered it with a compaktuna(/flevopol)-and peat-mixture. I finished with sealant and peat.

I made the background in pieces and afterwards I placed it in the vivarium .

The corners were made with Polyurethane foam and finished the same way as the pvc/rope.

After drying a few weeks I could begin planting the vivarium.

Result so far:

Edit reinserted broken photos

See less See more
#113 ·
Stunning viv!
What makes it so special is the dimensions and your landscaping - definitely a case of less is best with the planting. I think it looks good with just a few plants, sort of emerging from the background and substrate - just as would happen naturally in a shaded area of the rainforest.
One of the best vivs on the Dendroboard.

Regards
Marcus

#190 ·
Can you explain a little further about the process: Polyurethane...is that Great Stuff??? How did you use it?? The "filter foam"--what is that?? Is that the stuff that looks like one foot square plastic stuff that you would use for an outdoor pond??? Epiweb I get...but how did you use it??? And why the peat bricks??? I love your work but want to understand your reasoning for the method you are using...So the water feature is the part that is using these products...and the false bottom is just a "sediment pond"???

#133 ·
Vivaria construction

This should become a 'sticky' - ie a permanent clickable link in my opinion. Incredible detail and like how we are kept in suspense to see how the viv will grow and thrive. Immense pleasure seeing someone doing it so well. An inspiration and a work of art. More please.

#136 ·
The worst thing about that tank is your lovely handiwork is going to get covered with plants. :D

Here's my rather pedestrian question- is that three movable panes of glass in two slot runners? The panes of glass are probably not close enough together to be fruitfly safe?