Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 02:34 PM

Question First Viv, With pictures and questions

Hey Dendroboard.

My name is Paul, I've been a member for about a year and a half but this is my first post. After doing a lot of research i constructed an 18x18x24 vivarium in the hopes of housing a trio of azureus, or some type of tinc(i like the look of new river and oyopok).
A few construction pictures:

I didn't use a background on this viv because i previous project from 1 year ago is still sitting in my closet, covered in gs foam and half covered in coir. but thats a story for another post. I used cork tile to create a second level in the viv which I later reinforced due to the weight of the plants. After a few plantings, and some leaf litter, I am happy with the look of the tank.
Pictures of planted viv:

Now for the questions. I'm hoping first of all this size will be able to handle 3, is 3 okay? more? less?

Next, i've read that i should be using ro water only in my tank. ive been using spring water in mine, should i drain it and flush with ro water?

For lighting i have a dual compact exo terra with 2 13w regular house bulbs on 12 hours/day. this keeps the temp between 69-78 day to night. I know the frogs dont require specific lighting but would the plants benifit if i switched out 1 bulb for a uv bulb?

Lastly, I would like to introduce some springtails into the tank to take care of any mold(i already see some on the leaves), from what ive read i can just dump half a culture into my tank, mix it in and they should reproduce in the tank, as long as i toss in some mushroom once and a while, is this correct?

Thats about all the questions i have right now, im sure ill have more later. if anyone could help me with these or give any comments or suggestions on the vivs being frog ready, i would really appreciate it. Thanks dendroboard.