Dendroboard banner

My First Frogs! R. Vanzolinii

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  salix 
#1 ·
So I have been bugging you all with questions for awhile so I thought I would show you the fruit of your labors.... I got my first frogs in the mail today! They are 3 Vanzolinii froglets! I was really surprised at how small they are...they look a lot bigger in pictures on the computer screen! Anyway, I put them in the tank and they are already crawling all over the walls. I took some very BAD pics of them because i couldnt wait till tomorrow when the sun is shining. I will try and get better ones tomorrow.

Thank you for all your input everyone. I'm sure you will be hearing from me more as these are my first non-dog pets:p

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Ya - I have the two dusting supplements and put in my first batch today...they haven't touched the flies as far as i can tell but maybe they are just stressed.

#7 ·
I was wondering about that because I got the repcal/herptvite combo with the ff culture kit I got from Joshes before I read about the repashy. I think i am going to switch to the repashy once I use up the repcal. Also, someone else mentioned nutri...something. More research is needed but it will take a while for me to burn through the two supplements i have now with only 3 frogs.

#9 ·
Yea, that will take forever to burn through. You need to find someone in the area who will split vitamin and Calcium orders with you. They will stay much fresher that way. A lot of people are recommending disposing of old vits at about 6 months. Remember how important fresh vitamins and calcium are when you are only feeding primarily one food item. Consider getting the Repashy and splitting with someone. Get the Repashy Calcium plus ICB and also the Repashy Supermin. Then rotate through your 4 suppliments using a different one at each feeding. You could also consider the Repashy SuperPig once a week just for improving color. Remember to always buy the smallest size unless you have several people you are splitting with.
I'm not sure what the Nutri-something might be.
I hope your Vanzo's are as bold as mine are! Mine are out in the open all the time. I think part of it is how well planted my Viv is. They feel that cover is only a hop away...never mind the skip and the jump!

#10 ·
Thanks Pumilio - I will definitely get some repashy... so the frogs have been in the quarantine tank for a full 4 hours and every time i walk up to stare at them they dont even bother to care. They are all over the glass and I think they already ate all the flies i put in. There is only leaf litter and a coco hut just to be funny....this is what the breeder told me to do. Their big tank will be pretty dense so who knows how crazy they'll be when that happens!

#13 ·
The breeder was Phil Tan at Fantasticus.net. He was great. Answered all my questions, shipped right away, and the frogs were packaged up to survive a nuclear bomb. This was only my first experience with dart frog breeders but from what I can tell he is top notch. I will definitely buy from him again.

#15 ·
You want to avoid vendor feedback as this may lead to an infraction on DB.

The frogs look great. Good luck with them. Make sure they've got a ton of microfauna in there as they are froglets and will do best if they have plenty to munch on.

Also, take extra care to do a lot of extra planting in their permanent tank. Thumbnails are usually recommended after some experience has been had with larger frogs. I personally don't think that thumbnails are a _bad_ first frog choice, but without outstanding care they do tend to stress a lot easier than some of the larger frogs so plenty of plants and hiding places are a good idea.

And definitely switch out your supplements after 6 months.

#21 ·
Congratulations on you new purchase.. I love vanzos.. I can't get enough of them.. they are like popcorn, ya gotta have more.. Once you get hooked you will get more and enjoy watching these little yellow dots hop around the tank after a good misting.. I find (in my experiences anyway) that they will appear bold the first few days, exploring their surroundings and then go into hiding for a month or two but then predictable after and usually during mistings they all come out of their hiding spots.. Then after a few months they know where every nook and crannie is to hop to at the first sign of danger, they get real bold (especially in the early am and late evening (right before the lights go out). Enjoy em and if you have any questions, I'm sure your locale (Pacific NW) the thumbnail capital of the country.. you will be able to find help.

Peter Keane

#22 ·
So I made a real tank for these guys and put them in it about a week ago. Out of the three...I have only seen the same two for days. How long should I wait until I get worried about the third. The other two are hanging out a lot and sit in the same brom..but not the same axil. Does that mean they might be a pair? They are about 5-6 months now.

Also - random question. I am building a really big tank and wanted to move them there once it's done. Do i have to totally tear down the first smaller one before I get new ones or is it okay if they are healthy?

#26 ·
Congratulations, vanzos are a great choice.

A very sturdy and active frog, they are some of my favorites. With the striking black body and big greenish polka dots, they always remind me of 1940's satin pajamas.

Deb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.