Dendroboard banner

Simple 10gal w/ D.auratus

5K views 48 replies 17 participants last post by  Marconis 
#1 · (Edited)
My ten gallon housing a D. auratus. Camera sucks, sorry.

Couple weeks ago with ugly leaf litter

Today with new leaf litter and nice plant growth...I have a small plant in the back that grows mostly around the floor but is gaining lots of height in certain areas. New leafs sprout on all my plants very quickly and they are rooting like hell, can't wait until it grows into a full-out jungle ;-). Believe me, it looks much better in person.

See less See more
#5 ·
Two pics I snapped just a few minutes ago. He realized four flies (see in pic) were hanging out on a leaf above him, so he made a long hike to try and get them, only to realize he'd have to wait for them to fall before he could snatch them since it was too far.

#14 · (Edited)
Just a little update, used my brothers Rebel. Plants are growing nicely, gonna have to trim the one on the left. On the right you can see a big yellow leaf, shame that it had to die for whatever reason, as the others around it are healthy. I really need to start cleaning the walls of the tank.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey guys, just an update. Nothing has changed really except that I removed the plant from the front left, and angled a floor plant out from the back so it could root along the open space where the other plant was. Pothos have grown lke crazy, philos in the back have made their way all the way to the back left.

This is the back left of the tank. See the philodendron? It was originally planted on the far right of the tank. It's incredible how far it'll root and grow. I love it.

This is just to give you an idea of density on the right side of the tank.

Didn't realize the dying leaf until after I uploaded the photo!

Nothing special, but my frog seems to love it. Sorry that she (found out it was female, if you hadn't read my other thread) isn't in the pic; she gets scared when I come right up to it (unless I'm feeding). Personally, I love it too. One thing though is I could use a little more wood because my frog seems to enjoy making her way up to the top of the pieces currently in there.

#21 ·
Thanks John, I appreciate that. While an auratus is the only dart I have ever owned, the shyness doesn't quite bother me. She is actually rather active, just gets all riled up when I come close to the tank, which is fine. I can observe her while she eats without a problem, and that is the most entertaining for me anyway. I am enjoying her, and am actually thinking of upgrading to a 20 gallon and adding a male in the summer. I'd do it now, but my funds are focused on a ten gallon planted aquarium :D.

Thanks again for the compliments.

#26 ·
I just got 4 g/b auratus and they seem fairly bold, aside from one who likes to hide all day, but do seem to have periods of increased and lesser activity. They all come out once the lights come on and stay out for most of the day but as soon as it hits about 7 or 8pm they are no where to be found.

#27 · (Edited)
Same with mine! I feed her around 5PM everyday (except Tuesday), and I notice that she is actively hunting flies until about 7:30, and then will stay hidden until the next morning. My lights go off ~9:30PM and then click back on at ~1:30PM, so it is pretty cool behavior. It's almost as if she's preparing for the light to go off.

Good luck with your auratus'!

As for my exact morph, I really don't know. The employee did not know either (owner wasn't around the day I was there). I'd love for someone on here to give me an ID.

#29 ·
Okay, I was getting tired of the way my tank looked, so I did a little rescape today. I placed a rock in that I no longer had room for in my planted aquarium, and removed a lot of the pothos. I want the philodendron to be dominant; I'm trying to phase out the pothos, because for some reason I just don't like the way it looks anymore and it also keeps dying. I rooted up a "viney" plant (no idea of the name) and placed it on top of the new rock so that it can start to attach itself. Please excuse the dirtiness of the side and back walls, I never really bother to clean it. I was also going to remove the coco-hut from the back right, but my frog has been using it a lot lately to sleep in at night.

I know my viv isn't as spectacular as other people on here, but I tend to like to keep it simple.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.