Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Default Re: 300gal paludarium project

So I had initially planned to just fiberglass the seams and then seal the rest of the tank using Pond Shield epoxy. However, after reading some accounts of people running into some leak issues using Pond Shield I decided to first fiberglass the entire water portion of the tank using West System 105/206 and lightweight Bondo brand fiberglass cloth. I feel that this will provide structural strength and an additional layer of waterproofing. Plus, now that I've gotten the hang of it, fiberglassing is actually quite enjoyable... almost addictive as observed by my wife If I had more epoxy and fiberglass I'd probably glass the entire interior but I don't want to spend the extra money and I certainly don't think it's necessary.

Anyways, here's a piece of cloth trimmed and layed out

Wetted out with an initial layer of resin. I used a bondo spreader to wet out the cloth and a small brush to do the edges

After it gelled I trimmed of the excess and then applied 2 more coatings with a roller to fill the weave. Here's the tank with the lower half all glassed up. It's almost hard to tell because of how clear it gets!

I finished the outside with a coat of "golden pecan" stain and 3 coats of clear polyurethane to match the stand. I lined the edges of the windows with some walnut stained trim for a picture frame look.