Ok, time for some long overdue updates to this thread. Progress has been very slow and I wanted to have something to show before updating.
It all started out with a pile of wood and inadequate workspace (thanks to my wife for tolerating the mess!)
Here's the start of the stand. I added some 1X4 pieces as additional support to the sides. The plywood casing itself serves as a structural component.
One of the top/bottom pieces of the front showing the 1/8" misfit due to the plywood not being quite 3/4" thick (see my previous post).
One of the legs - 1X4s doubled up with similarly dimensioned plywood strips
Skip ahead a few steps and the thing is mostly assembled
Closeup of how the sides fit together with the front/back. In addition to the glue the pieces are held together with pocket hole screws
Crappy looking gap due to my mistake with the epoxy glue hardening too quickly (again, see previous post).
I ended up using a syringe to fill the gap with West System 105/206 epoxy and then covering over that with wood filler. This means the entire gap is bridged by epoxy which should hopefully leave me with a strong joint and I don't think it looks too bad.
I stained the outside of the stand with a coat of "golden pecan" and finished it with 3 coats of satin polyurethane. The inside got 2 coats of Kilz followed by 2 coats of white latex paint.
Here it is with the doors balanced in place (still need to add some edge banding and mount the hinges). I'm going for a sleek ADA style look.