Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 300gal paludarium project

Thanks for the encouraging replies guys.

I managed to get a good start over the weekend. Got all the plywood sheets cut and have started working on the stand. I managed to get all the pieces I needed from 4 (4'X8') sheets of 3/4" birch ply and 1 sheet of 1/2" ply (for the floor of the stand and some additional support pieces). All the vertical joints are mitered which will hopefully give me a clean, seamless look when it's done. I didn't have the tools to make the mitered cuts and cutouts in the panels myself, so I got some help from a guy I found through craiglist who did a great job on the cuts. If anyone in the Triangle area is looking for some help getting some wood cut up let me know and I'll pass along his info.

In addition to the plywood, I was initially going to use 2X4s as an interior support frame for the stand, but didn't like the quality of the wood I found at HD/Lowes (too warped). So instead I'm doubling up 1X4 strips of pine and plywood into multiple overlapping lap joints. This is giving me strong square joints.

Here's a pic of the approximate cutting plan I used to get the pieces I needed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paludarium%20cutlist4.jpg (35.2 KB, 384 views)