Dendroboard - View Single Post - Pumilio Froglet care 101 ......How to/Care/etc...
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 06:33 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Pumilio Froglet care 101 ......How to/Care/etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks View Post
It's a safe bet that wc pums are going to be unrelated to each other. Even though exact locality data is not known, if the frogs are from the same import and look phenotypically similar, why not work to produce genetically diverse offspring? It allows people to purchase offspring from you that are not related, and avoid inbreeding.

Even if the frogs are not 'locality specific', discouraging inbreeding is typically not a bad idea.
Quite right. I have always been an advocate of genetic diveristy and doing all that we can even at the hobbyist level.

I just had to try and defend my breeding group experiment in a rather short reply post.

Whenever I obtain WC or CB pumilio - I have both, I try to add or otherwise include another male or female down the road, from another source. I considered this a reasonable attempt at diversity, i.e a different part of the U.S, or calendar year, import shipment ect.

I have split up my proven breeding pairs just to accomplish this in the past. I have given away proven pumilio as well, so as to attempt to help another hobbyist with this same issue.

Even with raising 4 Tinc froglets that you obtain from a single source / breeder.Same issue. Raise them all up, attempt to acertain the sexes and desired ratio if breeding is your goal, and finally try to either trade or purchase one or two additional animals from another responsible and well known hobbyist to increase your chance for diversity.