Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 03:54 AM

Arrow First Viv - 55 gallon, divided

Hello everyone,

A little about me: This is my first viv; I am still frogless, for the next few months anyway, until the plants get going and I establish a colony of soil creatures. I spent a couple months reading board posts and monitoring Craigslist until one day I saw a 55 gallon With stand for only $50!

Below are a few shots of the tank as I worked on it. I know I made a few mistakes on this one - they won't be repeated on the next one! (I already have the pdf bug - and I don't even have any frogs yet!)

First shot - this is the tank after I put on the first silicone layer on the back, sides, and around the bottom 2 inches:
Vivarium Build on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The classic egg crate false bottom:

Great stuff back with wood pieces (I especially love the knot towards the top); I used a hanging basket liner for the bottom substrate layer - I realize it will probably rot pretty quickly (major mistake #1):

Another layer of silicone and cocoa fiber for the back; for the water feature I used two pieces of slate I had; I placed them too far apart, unfortunately, and as a result I am having some splash problems (substrate getting a little soggy; major mistake #2); I used some silicone to guide the water, which helped - any other ideas are welcome! I also ran a line over to the other side of the tank so that I could get some water to seep down the wood and background - that turned out very well

Another shot of the left side with the water seep; for the substrate I'm using coconut husk and orchid potting medium - anything else I should add?

A shot of the water feature (you can see how wet the area is around it - it's quite a bit better now, but not ideal):

Planted! 3 broms, the rest are orchids I already had; I also used window screening to create a barrier between the two halves (I don't want to start a heated discussion about mixing species in this thread, I just want to say that I want two species, and would love for them to breed, which I thought would be most likely if they didn't interact too much with each other):

A few more shots:
Vivarium Build - for dart frogs! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

OK, so I have a planted viv! I'll be getting a good deal more moss, some vines/creeping plants (especially on the screen), and I need to make some more hiding areas for the future inhabitants.

About the frogs! On the left side I will eventually get a pair of D.t. azureus (first) and later I'll get something for the right side. My plan at the moment is 2-3 Cryptophyllobates azureiventris, but if I run into some money and feel really ambitious, I may settle on a couple of thumbnails.

Questions, comments, ideas? I welcome any and all feedback - because I'm so new at this, feel free to tell me I did it all wrong, although I'm really hoping I didn't!!

Cheers,
Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6868.jpg (89.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by akraemer2; 02-19-2010 at 04:20 AM. Reason: pictures won't show up