Dendroboard - View Single Post - new wooden hill stream tank (constr jrnl)
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 PM

Default Re: new wooden hill stream tank (constr jrnl)

hi Nick,

I havenīt really more photos than I already showed. Basically the plumbing is like this:

there is a tap at left side with a RO attached. Then there is small tank with an RO water reservoir (about 20 gallons) and a rest water reservoir (about 8 gallons).
At the right hand side under the tank is a 64x20x20inch tank used as a biological filter; the 4 pumps will be placed in there delivering a 5000 gallons an hour (well, less because of the height of about 3 feet to the points where the water flows into the actual vivarium).

I have 4 points where the water flows into the viv, 2 right above the right hand side of the tank, one about 1.5 feet higher and one with a horizontal arm attached to create a broad dripping wall (well, a bit more than just dripping - make that small waterfalls).

At the left hand side I also have a pump as used for central heating systems to create a 3 ft high waterfall there.

The water refreshing system is simple. Each week I plan to run a little pump in the large reservoir for a couple of minuts, to get about 10 gallons of water to the sewer. Then I run another small pump in the RO water reservoir to add 7 gallons of RO water and then again another small pump to pump 3 gallons of rest water into the reservoir. That way I can get water hardness (is that the technical frase?) I like.

Then there is a lot of water evaporating from the tank. I just can pump RO water to get things back to the level I want.

The water level inside the vivarium will be mainly 30cm / 12inch, apart from the right hand side where I try to get water levels of 10cm and 40cm higher respectively (a bit like rapids in a small burn).

Between the pumps and the actual viv I made a connecting pipe and 4 taps (cocks?) enabling a precise regulation of the amount of water flowing at the different points into the viv.

Again, I hope I make myself clear - just ask in case I am not