Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 11:22 PM

Default Re: What to put in the new tank build

The door was quite easy, after I siliconed in the bottom glass, I used a window screen making kit to frame in the bottom glass, and siliconed it in place to the fish tank lip. (this allows support for the door too). Then I determined how much of a top vent I wanted, and made it with the same window kit and glued it in place. Once I had these two in, I made the frame for the glass door, once i had this, I measured for the glass peice to be cut at lowes. I left a 1/4 inch around the glass and used aquarium silicone to secure it to the frame, once that cured for a couple of days, i used the same brown silicone i used on the background to cover the edge of the glass to make it smooth. I used some hinges I had laying around, by using a 5 minute epoxy to fix them to the frame and the inside glass wall. I had to notch the top trim to fit the hinge along with the magnetic latches on the opposite side. I epoxied a handle to the door and that was it. I am still looking at putting some type of latch on the outside, just as a security precaution (cat in the house).

I got the idea from the following website, and with all the materials, i spent around $30 total for supplies.

Rapture Reptiles - Vertical Door Construction

After looking at the drainage layer, I think I need to increase the depth a little (only at 1.5" right now)

Thanks for the advice, I am going to add some nice broms to the main peice of wood. Any other suggestions?

Jon