Dendroboard banner

Which type of Great Stuff?

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tasteslikechicken 
#1 ·
I did some searches, but couldn't find which type of GS foam people like the best, except for one person that liked "window & door."

The guy at Home Depot said the difference was how much the foam expands so I got the one that expands the most (why I made that choice is unknown)...which apparently is "Big Gap Filler" in the black can. I can't seem to find on the can where it says the ratio of expansion but the Home Depot guy apparently knew. The other choices are "Gaps & Cracks," "Fireblock," and "Pond & Stone." I don't remember seeing the pond one in the section with the rest or I probably would have bought that one.

Anyway, which do you all think is best and why? Any more insight into the differences would be great too. Is it a density thing when it's dry?

thanks

#3 ·
Window & door expands less (which imo is a good thing), it flexable & semi-moldable after 15-20 minutes, and it seems to cure faster than standard GS.

"Big gap filler" may have been a bad choice unless you have a giant viv. I used that to fill holes between insulating plates in my house. The stuff expands so much it's ridiculous. :D

#4 ·
I agree, "Window and Door" is the way to go. This last tank I just finished was the first one that I tried using black foam. Technically I liked it better, (doesn't show flaws so badly) but I don't think its worth the extra $3.50 a can I payed for it.

#6 ·
They should exchange it no problem for you.

I know a guy that takes used bolts and screws back to home depot and lowes and just tells them he lost the reciept and they are extra and he doesnt need them , says they return them everytime . . . . (karma will get him one day for lying though) . . .

#7 ·
Not to hijack, but when we were kids, my younger brother used to work at Home Depot and it is amazing what people return. Paint cans full of water...paint sprayers, used to paint a house, uncleaned...one guy used to buy a new lawnmower every Saturday, mow his lawn, then return it Sunday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.