Dendroboard - View Single Post - turn a non sliding class tank to a sliding glass?crazy?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Dedicated Supporter

Default Re: turn a non sliding class tank to a sliding glass?crazy?

Yeah turning it on its side won't be practical because of the dimensions so I was thinking about trying the second method, would that work with the weight of a 65 gal tank and the thickness of the glass (1/4") and would taking the trim off the top mess up the structural integrity because of the weight of the panes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckplaya32 View Post
i have done this two different ways depending on tanks shape. If you have a tank with equal-ish height and depth like a 40 breeder or 75 just turn it on its side and silicone your e track, and litter dam onto its molding. The other way is a little more complicated and i ve done it on a few 20H. You start by removing the molding around the the top of the tank with a razor. Than run your razor in between the front pane (the one want to become your door), and the sides as far down as you d like your litter dam to be high. After this take straight edge and score the glass of the front pane, I like to make a 4 inch litter dam, so I mark my score at 4 inches above the bottom of the tank. Next you carefully break the glass along the score line. if your good the piece that you just removed as the front pane, can be siliconed onto the top, if not you will need to purchase some more glass for the top. Than just silicone your e track into place and your set.