Dendroboard - View Single Post - So, you want a reason to not mix species?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 09:36 PM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts
Default Re: So, you want a reason to not mix species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
Ed, I'm not saying that a male XXX won't attack a male YYY. I'm saying a male XXX generally wont attack a male YYY any more than he'd attack another male XXX.
I don't think that this supported in the literature (if you for example use a group in which territoriality has been well studied like caudates) and may be even less supported when you add in kinship effects that are probably also occuring given than many of the kept groups (like several leucomelas in a tank) of dendrobatids are related..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
Interspecies aggression most certainly can happen, but so can intraspecies aggression. The case above, from an aggression standpoint, most likely would have had the same resolution if the 2nd frog was another male O.pumilio, as it did with the tinc.
I'm not sure you can say that as one of the confounding issue are submission displays and behaviors which are different between species. Within the species these actions can result in a decrease or stopping of the aggression which would allow the frog to escape to shelter or leave the area. Between species, these are usually different so the frog cannot signal and get the aggression to stop... given these sort of issues, aggression between different species can be greater than that within a species as the methods which can call a halt to the agression are missing between species. (for a review I suggest those interested check out Hödl, W.; Amezquita, A. (2001). Visual signaling in anuran amphibians. In: Anuran communication, (M.J. Ryan, ed.). Smithsonian lust. Press, Washington. Pp. 121-141.)

Ed

Last edited by Ed; 05-14-2009 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clairity