Dendroboard - View Single Post - So, you want a reason to not mix species?
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,795 Posts
Default Re: So, you want a reason to not mix species?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
I

On the question of 'small enclosure', this has been discussed many times. I submit that truly adequately sized enclosures don't exist in the hobby. I would love to construct an enclosure large enough to sustain a breeding group of species X where the entire life cycle of the frog can be carried out - no pulling of eggs or tads .

I think this would be possible with R. ventrimaculatus.. I have seen enclosures where the density was surprisingly high when tadpoles were allowed to remain in the enclosure. One should also keep in mind that this species also has social parasitism behaviors that could only really evolve in high population densities. Based on on those behaviors and the anecdotal observations, a decent sized tank (say a 40 breeder) properly set-up could probably accomplish this task... the main thing would be the food input as this could artificially affect the density..

Ed