Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Thread: Green House
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Green House

I have recently started to seriously think about a outdoor green house to house a colony of frogs. It will most likely be my "man creek" pumilio. I am planning for it to be 8' x 4' x 6', depth, width, height. I am looking for advice on materials for the walls, and the structure itself. I was originally thinking of using my extra 2" x 4"s from another project, but they will eventually rot, and I will have to rebuild it. I live in Florida, so we rarely get temps below 35 degrees, it still low enough to hurt the frogs so I am also looking to keep it fairly warm in the winter so I dont have to go on a frog hunt and bring them inside. It will be under a orange tree in my backyard to keep the heat down when it is hot, which I think will be my major problem. There will be two sets of doors to keep the risk of escape low, so when I first enter I close the first door, then enter into the actual frog space by going through the second door.

The floor will be covered in oak leaf litter, and I will be doing research on some plants to use, as the standard pothos and bromeliads wont use the vertical space to well. Any other advice is appreciated. I will put fruit into the cage for fruitflies to breed in like in the Panamanian greenhouses. As Brent suggested I will seed it with tons of insects.