Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 11:52 PM

Ah, sorry brock, I had forgotten exactly what you had used, other than it was Vit. A, not to mention when you decribed how strong it was I decided I was too chicken to try it, especially when I was having plenty of luck with peprika and gutloaded pinheads. I find it interesting that the frogs kept in the viv were better colored... do they keep this color outside the viv after a certain age, after this window you were talking about? The window of oppertunity seems very probable from what I've seen of tricolor. Most of my santa isabels were very colorful when I got them, but I've had some of the "bubblegum pink" adults that had never been supplimented that never colored up like the others (fed sprulina only diets as tads), even though they were the same bloodline.

I personally have used "color enhancing' fish foods (usually betta flakes) with my tricolor tads with what I guess would be good success (froglets are a little maroonish, not completely mud colored) and tended to color up very quickly on the before mentioned pinhead diet. I had almost completely colored 2/3 grown calling males at 3-4 months of age, even with the santa isabels that supposidly took up to 2 years to get full color. The color enhancers in the flake food and the sweet potato pinheads used beta carotine as the main colorant source. Froglets sold to owners who didn't suppliment usually didn't color up much more than they already had, but with the santa isabels never faded to the bubblegum pink.

Greaser, what form of tricolor did you get? Pics are a must, I'm crazy about tricolor if you couldn't tell

The stuff Richard is working with sounds oddly like what Brock was talking about, I thought that suppliment was originally used in canary suppliments for color (probibly the same used for parrots).

Dammit. I really want tricolor again now :cry: Its been way too long since I've had them.