Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroKero
Beware of beta carotine suppliments, its very strong and could be toxic to your animals if not used correctly. I think Brock is actually the one with a tank of BJ pumilio that he sparingly uses BC on to keep their color but I don't remember the schedule of supplimentation. I believe it was as little as once a month.
Actually what I'm using is canthoxanthin with my pumilio which is nasty stuff and is the same stuff used in Nekton color. The problem with it is that it is a very potent form of Vit. A so it is easy to overdo it. I bought some of those canthoxanthin tanning capsules and put 1/2 of a capsule into a full bottle of Dendrocare that I dust flies with once a week. This is a very, very, low dose and does seem to help although I'm starting to believe that, like Phyllobates, there is a window of opportunity for putting color on the frogs and after they reach a certain age, supplements can help but you will never get the really bright colors you can by supplementing at the tadpole or juvenile stage. Unfortunately, this also seems to be when the animals are most susceptible to overdose so it's tricky. As much as anything, it seems like the froglets that are left in the big breeding viv to grow up end up with vibrant wc looking colors while those I've pulled out to raise separately are pretty dull looking. I'm guessing it is due to the microfauna available in the larger viv. Unfortunately my wc male is a very orange frog so it's hard to know what is genetic and what is environmental. But the dull looking offspring are not even as pretty as him. They become a brownish orange when not supplemented and can be a brighter orange with supplementation. I've been too chicken to supplement them more to see if they could color up better.

When I've used paprika, I mix it with a little calcium powder to help it stick to the food.

Hopefully Ed K. is watching this thread but I think that beta carotene is actually a pretty safe form of vit. A or maybe even just a percursor.