Dendroboard banner

moss

1K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Dendro Dave 
#1 ·
im not sure what moss i have in my tank right now because i get it al from a friend. i was wondering if there is a way to like grow your own moss. if so than how? and what is leaf little and what does it do?

#2 ·
I have tried a lot of different tropical mosses, but the thing that I have found to work the best is just using spahgnum. If you leave it in the viv and keep it moist it just starts to green up and within 3ish months and within 4ish months I usually get a carpet.

But if you don't like waiting or you want something a little more definite you can use java moss, kyoto moss (pretty finicky, but once it takes off it looks awsome), or ricca (technically not a moss). I personally like ricca, it is hard to kill and is a liverwart so does really well in wet tanks and doesn't need good drainage like some other mosses.

#4 ·
There are places you can buy your own moss, I got some kyoto moss off amazon before and you can buy ricca from brainstropicals. And you could probably find some baby tear at a garden store.

Leaf litter is just leaves, a lot of people use oak or magnolia, but other types work also, they just decompose more quickly. A thick layer of leaf litter will help the frogs feel more secure, and it increases the amount of microfauna in the tank that the frogs can snack on.

Or are you referring to leaf litter the magazine? if so, its a magazine that comes out every 6 months (ish) and is put out by Tree Walkers, an amphibian concervation group.

#5 ·
Just spray it with water every once in awhile and it grows ha. Pretty simple. If you could clarify what you mean we could better help you.

And leaf litter is just the top layer of some people's substrate and consists of loose dried dead leaves spread out on top of the substrate.

#7 ·
I just picked up some Scotch moss . Hopes are not to high in it taking off ,but it's all OSH had in . I used a little bleach and water to clean it , and some other plants I got .then rinsed them of 5 times . moss is harder to in Nor cal than I thought it would be .

#11 ·
Here's what you can do. Lay down some weed barrier on the north side of your house. Cover that with sand and then a layer of peat moss. Peat moss is not moss though and won't grow. This will be what your moss grows on. In the Tulsa area there is moss that lives all year long and usually does well in vivariums. You may need to adjust the lighting or placement of the moss and how moist the area is where you want the moss. Also if the moss is in an open place where the frogs trample it all the time then it may also die. And try to avoid getting suppliment powder on it. You can find moss in most any wooded area usually by a trail or creek edge and often on a slope that faces north or east. While you're hangin in the woods you can also pick of some leaf litter. In my opinion oak and magnolia leaves work and look best. Try pin oak, willow oak, red oak. Turkey mountain is a great place to find moss.

#15 ·
Someone already posted some pics of leaf litter on the first page of this thread. Basically get some dried leave...throw them in the viv. thats it...though its a good idea to bake them in an oven at a couple hudred degrees for a few minutes to kill any pathogens (bad stuff)...dont set them on fire though ;)

Some of the mosses u find in oklahoma will work in the viv...im not sure how well mosses respond to the bleach treatment though...i just risk it and dont wash them. black jungle and t and c terriums in the link section of this site sell tropical mosses. t and c is out at the moment i believe though. Ricca and some aquatic mosses will work also like taiwan moss and christmas moss....scotch moss isnt really moss and i dont think will work well. Some of the vendors here on the board, and people who sell aquatic plants and stuff will have those items. its a good idea to read up on the viv construction threads, and their are books about building vivariums and stuff also worth checking out.

#17 ·
yep :) At one time i had probably the largest dart collection in the state(unless someone has been hiding), maybe some of the near by states too ;) But the ice storm killed most of em and some other herps...i sold some of my remaining frogs and the last few froglets i kept got wiped out by ants...last year was not good for me. Now i have one black bassleri dart frog, a few newts, a couple fying geckos, a fire bellied toad and some lygodactualus williamsi blue geckos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.