No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Seasonal Changes in Husbandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Great question.

I'm in a dry-winter-air climate too (but snow in September? Yikes!), so I run a humidifier in the reptile room during the winter, and try to maintain 50% ambient humidity (I don't measure humidity in frog vivs). It is a balancing act between maintaining adequate humidity and destroying the house with moisture in the walls; negatively pressurizing the house has helped keep the walls dry.

I use acrylic inserts on top of Exo Terra screen to maintain moisture. In summer, I cover about 50% of the screen, in winter closer to 80% of the top gets covered by using larger acrylic pieces.

Ambient temps can fall to low 60s F in the winter. The frogs eat less then, so I feed less (both frequency and quantity).

Watching the frogs helps a lot. If they eat less (i.e. more FFs left over), they are getting cool and I feed less. If they hide more, the viv is getting dry and I either cover the top a little more, or add a hand misting mid-morning, or let them hide more.
Silly Q but when you say negative pressure, do you mean like opening a window so that the air gets pulled outside? I'll make a point to watch their eating habits. Thank you!

Basements seem to be winning out for "frog room" location. Is that pretty par for the course you think? Working around the furnace seems to be a pretty solid idea, and something I would've never thought of but then again I dont think I've ever seen a basement irl.