Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 06:18 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
You may want to consider picking up/borrowing a hand router, it will save you a ton of time when it comes to making slots, plus with the right bits you can chamfer edges.
I own a trim router and the router in my router table is a medium sized machine so I could take it out and use it as a hand router if needed. I also own a few roundover bits which will be making an appearance later in the build. That said, I'm not very good at using a router ;P In the corners is where things got a little wonky. I used my mortiser to square up the corners and from there reinforced the entire top section of the front piece with straight cut bits of plywood from the table saw so once I sand it, fill in any gaps with paste, and paint it, it will look pretty smooth. Till then its rougher then I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Good update!
I look forward to seeing this completed.

Can you do us a favor and keep track of what the project (particularly the vivarium build), costs? This might help other people make a decision in the future. I've stuck with pre-built , commercially available terrariums because getting glass cut to size is quite expensive where I live.
I actually have a pretty good idea right now of how much the whole thing will cost. I bought 2 sheets of plywood, one is 1/2 birch and the other is marine grade fir plywood. The marine grade is being used for the sides, bottom, and front (the parts that will be underwater). But this was an uncessary expense, you could do just as well with 1/2" birch plywood.

Anyway the cost breakdown is going to look something like this:

Plywood 150 dollars (could shave 50 dollars off of this by using regular plywood instead of marine)
Glass 250 dollars (this assumes I go with 1/4" thick glass for the doors which I am actually undecided on, it would be about half as much if I go with 1/8th inch for the doors)
Pond Armor 70 dollars
Paint and Primer 50 dollars
Misc Costs 80 dollars (screws, silicone, door track, fiberglass, wood glue, bulkheads, tubing)

Total cost 600 dollars before planting, lights, plumbing, misting, substrate etc. At the end of the day its not much if any cheaper to make it all glass, but I don't think I could make it look as good if it were all glass so /shrug.
The Following User Says Thank You to minorhero For This Useful Post:
fishingguy12345 (09-15-2020)