Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tihsho View Post
I understand the displacement part 100%, as for the bulkhead location, that I didn't know.

I understand the difference between a closed loop pump and a sump being gravity fed, but I'm just pointing out ways to get around accidents, both over flowing of water and lack there of for a canister. Depending on how much misting you have and ventilation, you may have an issue where there is more water going into the Viv than is being pulled out due to evap and exchange of internal Viv air which should have high humidity and external Viv air which should be lower. Just something to consider.

In big projects like these, especially with as much work as you're putting into it, I'd hate to see you have to tear out the substrate and re drill for bulk heads.
All true, but if I do decide to go with a sump at some point I won't need to redrill for bulkheads. There will still be 2 in the tank sloped floor. One going to the canister and one to the reservoir for overflow. So if I do decide to switch to a sump I won't need to change anything in the tank, only on the outside.

I do appreciate all the time and thought you put into your responses, I like to get critique especially on big projects like this. If I were dealing with a larger water volume I would go the sump route as well since they are just so much easier to manage. But since the water in the viv is going to be quite small (even though the tank is pretty large) I am still of the belief a canister filter is the better way to go. I originally thought of making a DIY canister filter to do the job actually since filtration is not really that important and any old bit of sponge next to a pump would do the trick. But with an actual canister filter sitting dry with no plans for future use it didn't make sense to build something new.