Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 02:23 PM

Default Re: 4 Foot Vivarium Build From The Ground Up

Update!

Its time to talk about the actual vivarium in this vivarium build thread :P

Yesterday I used Sketchup to make a 3D model of the vivarium. I always find this step to be SUPER helpful when building something. Even when I feel like I have a very good idea of how to go about building something I am always surprised by small details that I forget about till I see the actual model and realize I can make my life a LOT easier by cutting a piece of wood a little shorter, or making mortise where I wasn't planning one etc.

Anyway after a bit of work I came up with this design:

Dimensions are 4 feet long, 20 inches deep, and 3 feet tall.

The structure would be made out of 1/2 inch ply and then the corners are doubled up. I would have 2 bulkheads in the bottom, with a sort of trough in the very front (not pictured). The bottom most bulkhead would go to a canister filter external to the tank, the second bulkhead higher up would go to a reservoir in the stand. A third bulkhead on the back wall near the top of the tank would let water back in for a minor dripping branch effect in one corner.

I had planned on this window like design because 1) I didn't want to mate 2 pieces of glass together with a silicone seam since I am not confident in my silicone abilities getting a perfectly clean joint. and 2) When this stand was significantly shorter I was planning on using pre-made glass windows available online as 'table tops' for relatively cheap.

I posted the design over on a facebook group and asked for feedback.
athiker04 responded to the thread and linked me to his build thread here. I had seen this build thread before and have always been impressed by it but his comments made me rethink my design. The way he built his tanks he did not have a glass to glass silicone joint in the tank. And since my tank was now so much taller then before I could no longer use the pre-made glass panels I was previously considering. Thus I decided to ditch my design and rethink my approach. This included aping athiker04's design quite a bit.

Here is my new design:

Essentially the same basic principles as the last design only this time it would feature 3 glass walls instead of sliding doors and 2 windows.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on the design I am definitely open to them. I haven't started cutting wood yet so at this point the sky is the limit on changes

Meanwhile I have started calling around for glass quotes. I am always amazed at the wide disparity of prices on this front. So far I have two companies responding. One wanted 240 dollars for the glass sides the other wanted 90 dollars for the glass sides. These would be 1/4" thick annealed glass with a flat polished edge. I have another 6 or 7 or so quotes outstanding, hopefully I will receive most of those in the next day or 2.