Dendroboard - View Single Post - Foot Rot and Impacting Mitigation in P. Terribilis
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 05:22 AM

Default Re: Foot Rot and Impacting Mitigation in P. Terribilis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
I kept terribilis back in 2009 and again recently (3 groups at the moment)

My terribilis are all active foragers and inevitably churn up substrate and entertainingly trash the place with wild parties.

I use leaf litter on top of calcined clay and you would think thatís a recipe for disaster, but the odd time Iíve seen a frog tag a piece of substrate it has instantly and expertly spat it out.

People with more expertise than I have also posited the question as to how these frogs deal with substrate fragments in the wild; a valid question. I have seen posts about frogs with strange impactions, the oddest being what looked like an actual twig .. so itís certainly possible.

If you really want to go all in on risk management, you could consider using lots of leaf litter on top of open cell filter foam. No substrate = no problem. Some keepers in Europe and the US now go this route.

I would never use sphagnum moss in any dart frog tank, IMO husbandry has moved on from that, and I especially wouldnít use it for terribilis.
Thanks for your thoughts. I will avoid peat moss and go heavy on leaf litter. That seems to be the consensus: foot rot is the more pressing concern. I'm not sure I'll ditch the substrate entirely, but I definitely don't need a lot of it soaking up water.