Dendroboard - View Single Post - Foot Rot and Impacting Mitigation in P. Terribilis
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 05:57 PM

Default Foot Rot and Impacting Mitigation in P. Terribilis

One of the tensions I've found with terribilis care in different DB posts and across different websites is compensating for 1.) they seem more prone to foot rot than other PDFs and 2.) they are voracious and may tend to consume greater amounts of substrate when there's not a barrier between the frogs and soil, leading to increased instance impacting.

As I'm planning a habitat for mints, I've read descriptions of setups on one hand that include a layer of peat moss on top of the soil and beneath leaf litter ostensibly to reduce substrate consumption and on the other I've read terribilis keepers specifically discouraging this practice due to moisture retention and increase risk of foot rot. For the terribilis keepers out there, what practice do you use?

For the context of my setup: I will have 2 circulation fans on top of an In Situ Amazonia, there are also vents at the top and bottom of the tank. Given this my plan was to add that extra layer of peat moss. I've never had a herp with foot rot but I have dealt with impacting before so that problem is more visceral for me and that's my bias approaching this question. I do recall reading a post by Ed that seemed to suggest that going overboard to prevent impacting isn't necessary (I can't find it now, but I remember the thread was not specifically on terribilis).

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Jack